2020 marks the 100th anniversary of KDKA radio. There are plans in the works for operating special event stations in honor of this occasion. As I am the PA state coordinator for the 13 Colonies special event, Joe – W3BC asked if I might be interested in heading up this event and I agreed.
Here is where we are at this point:
- The event will be all month long in November of 2020.
- The plan is to make this operation available to southwestern PA amateur radio operators.
- There are plans to have multiple callsigns for the event. Three 1X1 callsigns have already been reserved. Also, the call W8XK will be used as it was the original callsign of KDKA.
- We had a meeting at the last Breeze Shooters hamfest. The meeting was announced and open to any interested persons.
- There has been interest from a couple of clubs in utilizing their tower trailers and, as such, there are plans to operate from the old KDKA radio transmitter site in Saxonburg (and perhaps other sites).
- There are also plans to have KDKA officials involved.
Best 73 all
If your interested in helping out sign up for the email list here: