Zoom Meeting – The Ultimate DX Contact

Seti @ Home-This Wednesday Night Zoom Meeting
This Wednesday Jan 13th @ 7:30PM

On Wednesday Jan 13th the Steel City ARC will be hosting an educational Zoom meeting at 7:30 PM.  We have a very special speaker this week from Seti@Home a member of the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence team Dr David Anderson who created software that uses your computer screen saver to search for signals from other  worlds.  Below you will find a better description on how the screen saver works and a link to their site so you can try it out.   If you or your club is interested in joining the Zoom meeting send an email to me and I will add you to the meeting link.  N3LRG (at) W3KWH {dit} COM


The UC Berkeley SETI team has discovered that there are already thousands of computers that might be available for use. Most of these computers sit around most of the time with toasters flying across their screens accomplishing absolutely nothing and wasting electricity to boot. This is where SETI@home (and you!) come into the picture. The SETI@home project hopes to convince you to allow us to borrow your computer when you aren’t using it and to help us “…search out new life and new civilizations.” We’ll do this with a screen saver that can go get a chunk of data from us over the internet, analyze that data, and then report the results back to us. When you need your computer back, our screen saver instantly gets out of the way and only continues it’s analysis when you are finished with your work.

For more information & software: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

Dr. David P. Anderson,
Scientist and software architect

David is a computer scientist, with research interests in volunteer computing, distributed systems, and real-time systems. He co-founded SETI@home and directed it from 1998 to 2015. He leads the BOINC project, and is leading Nebula, the back-end data analysis phase of SETI@home.  David is a rock climber, mountain climber, classical pianist,

 

Wash Club 21st – 2 Meter Contest

This January will mark the Twenty-First Annual WASH 2 Meter Contest. We’re looking forward to a chance to stretch our legs, our wheels, and our antennas once again!

Date & Times:
Saturday, January 9th , 2021 from 7 to 11 PM
EST. (That’s January 10th 0000-0400 UTC to the purists!)

Objectives:
• To make as many contacts as possible
• To have fun!

Band, Mode & Frequencies:
The contest will take place solely on 2 meter band.

FM : FM simplex only, no repeater contacts. The FM
frequencies are all standard 2 Meter simplex frequencies, as
per the ARRL 2 Meter Band Plan, every 15 kHz, from
146.505 to 146.595 MHz , and 147.450 to 147.580 MHz.
Use of simplex frequencies in the “FM Experimental
Simplex” band of 145.510 to 145.670 are not recommended.
See list of recommended simplex channels at the end of the
rules.

• CW: 144.05 to 144.1 MHz Only. (See ARRL 2 Meter band
plan)

SSB & AM: 144.2 to 144.275 MHz Only. (See ARRL 2
Meter band plan).

Digital (including RTTY): 144.51 to 144.55 MHz. (See
ARRL 2 Meter band plan) Multiple digital modes may be
used, and participants are free to use any generally
accepted Digital mode, but only ONE Digital QSO with a
given station regardless of mode

Full rules and paperwork:
http://n3sh.org/WASHRAG/2021/2021_WASH_2M_Contest.pdf

 

Digital Net Tonight on UHF Repeater

Reminder there is an digital net tonight at 8:00 PM on the Steel City UHF repeater 444.450 Mhz. Due to the Keystone room being down the digital net will be held on the Steel City Room # 43352.   This is a state wide net and we welcome all C4FM repeater owners and user nodes to connection to the Steel City room to join the net.

See you at 8:00 PM @ Steel City Room #43352

Call for 2021 committee membership

Members, the Steel City amateur radio club is sixty plus members strong. With that many people in the club we need some help running the club. We need more than just a handful of people to do thing around the club house. So here is my request at how you can help us all out. These positions start on Jan 1st 2021 and each committee will have a chairperson and hopefully at least 2 members. Not everyone is cut out to be a chairperson but you can surely help the club by being an active member of a committee. If you’re interested in any of these positions either as a member or a chairperson please let me know. N3LRG {at} W3KWH {dit} COM.

Here are the requirements for the chair person. They will make a report to the membership at the monthly business meetings. They will conduct at least eight committee meetings in a year’s time. To help with conducting these meeting the chairperson will have access to the clubs Zoom account so these committee meetings can be done virtual or in person at the club house. The chairperson will submit receipts to the Treasurer for any purchases. The chairperson can also call for work parties if additional help is needed for a project. The chairperson will also keep the leadership inform of the committees progress and actions.

Here are the requirements for membership of the committees. Help the chairperson with whatever task they might have to complete. Be willing to learn how to do the tasks the committee has to deal with. Be willing to participate in the 8 committee meetings during the year. Encourage other members to help during events or work parties. Help the committee by providing their input at the committees meetings.

TECHNICAL

They are responsible for installing and maintaining all equipment, network, antennas, and radios. This committee will suggest to the members on any upgrades that will be needed. They will seek member’s approval for the funds. They will manage the inventory list keep track of the equipment, cost, and serial numbers. They will also call for work parties when additional work is needed to be done.

CLUBHOUSE

They will be responsible for the building and property of the club. Task they are responsible will be cutting the grass, trimming the trees, keeping up with the front flower garden, maintaining the access road. They will work with the technical committee for any tower work and/or cable runs. They can do the work themselves or determine its best to hire a contractor to do the work. They will submit request for funds to the membership for approval and can call work parties if additional people are needed for a project.

PUBLIC SERVICE

This committee will be the public face for the club. They will assist other organization with any communications needs they might have. They will also be responsible for any training the club membership that might be needed for these emergency events. Members should be willing to attend all drills and as many public events as possible. This committee should be able to do different demos at requested community events. Also provides post to the website to keep the club inform on the community events.

VE Testing

This committee will put on the VE testing sessions at the club house. They will be responsible to advertizing when the sessions will take place and to make sure enough VE members to be present for the testing session. The chairperson will make sure there is enough VE’s will attend the sessions and will follow up with the documentation with the FCC.

Membership Outreach & New Members

This committee will handle all people wishing to join the Steel City ARC. They will handle the applications and approved by the committee submit their names during our business meetings. They will educate new members on how to become members and will follow up with them regularly. They will also perform outreach to the ham community to try to get new members. The committee will decide how this will be done. For examples tables at hamfest, ads in local publications, mailing to public service groups, and host open houses are just some of the thing they will do.

Education Program

This committee will put on events to help educate our members. They will decide on how and what material will be covered. Some suggestions would be Morse code training, solder kit build sessions, license upgrades, and how to use the club equipment. They themselves would put these events on or will find someone outside the club to educate our members. They will be able to post articles on our website.

Ways and Means

This committee shall consist of a committee chairman, the Treasurer and at least one other member selected by the chairman. The committee shall be responsible for the establishment of initiation fees and dues and shall be in charge of any fund raising activities. This standing committee only meets once a year about the dues and if we will charge any fees. Joe Mielnicki has already volunteered for this chairperson position and of course as treasure Walt Adkins is on this. Let me know if you want to be the plus one.

Food Service Manager

The Food Service manager will be willing to at the store to pick up a food snack for after the Steel monthly business meetings at the club house. I am not looking for a meal but just and snack.

Webmaster

This person will be responsible for maintaining the club website. The webmaster is required to create at least one posting per week. The webmaster will also reach out to others members for articles for the website.


Again if you are willing to help out the club please reach out to me at: N3LRG {at} W3KWH {dit} COM.

Business Meeting Tuesday @ 8:00PM

Attention Steel City Members there will be a Zoom Business meeting this Tuesday Dec 15th. at 8:00 PM.  This will be the finally meeting for year 2020 please be there.  If you have any items for the meeting please bring the up to Richie & Christine before the meeting.  They can be reached at N3SBF {at} COMCAST {dit} NET and N3LRG {at} W3KWH {dit} COM.

An email link will be sent out tuesday morning for the web link to the meeting.  Anyone that has a pending reading for membership please email Christine for the link to the meeting.

Please NOTE! The club house will be closed for this event.  Please do not go to the club house. Too many people are dying right now to have a gathering at the club of more than one person at a time.  Anyone operating from the club house will be denied access to the Zoom Meeting.

Business Meeting @ Zoom Nov 17th 8PM

Members there will be a zoom business meeting this Tuesday evening at 8:00 PM.  All members should try to attend this meeting to to keep up on what is going on with the club.  Members request should goto Richie at n3sbf {at} comcast {dit} net.   Members will get the Zoom Invite in their email box tomorrow Monday Nov 16th.

Future members with pending applications with the Steel City ARC should send your email to Christine at N3LRG {at} W3KWH {dit} COM to get the email with the Zoom link it in.

See you all at 8:00 PM  Tuesday Evening

 

KDKA & Steel City On the Air!

SPECIAL THANKS
TO ALL THE STEEL CITY MEMBERS THAT SHOWED UP!

I want to thank everyone that travelled to Canonsburg to put Steel City on the air for the KDKA 100 Year special event station.  Bob has set up another date for up next Sunday Nov 15th to do it again.   This might be your last chance to work an 1 by 1 call K3K.  Join the excitement!

 

Signup – KDKA Special Event Station

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – OCTOBER 12, 2020

Sunday Nov 8th  from 10 am to 5 pm  –  We Will Be “K3D”
Please consider working this special event station and support the SCARC club. So let Bob know if you want to work an hour or two and when on Nov 8th
.

RSVP to Bob NU3Q  —>  nu3q {at} nu3q {dit} us

Our remote operating location – Click on Address for Google directions
Note on Sunday Nov 8th you do not need to feed the parking meters
You will most like bring a folding chair if you want to hang out.

Click Here For Directions To Site

102 West Pike Street
Cannonsburg, PA, 15317

Read The Latest Press Release Here

Thanks to John Rakoczky KA3SZO, a member of the Steel City club, for letting us use his commercial retail space in downtown Canonsburg to operate the KDKA special event station. He informed me the “COVID safe capacity” of his large retail space is fifty (50). In keeping with Governor Wolf’s 20% mandate, I recommend we keep it to no more than ten (10) people at his QTH and that we socially distance appropriately and use masks as conditions warrant.

The location of his building is 102 West Pike Street – Canonsburg 15317. It is located across the street from the Frank Sarris Public Library. There is limited parking in the lot across the street, otherwise you will have to park on the street. He has a bathroom in the rear of the space. I loaned John my 40 meter and 80 meter dipoles and my two 100 foot coax jumpers. He will mount the 40 meter dipole on the roof of his building and stretch the 80 meter dipole inside the attic. His building is 3 stories high and I have used my 40 meter dipole on his roof successfully before. John will get the PR out for us as well.

Please join the KDKA 100 groups.io mail list to stake your place on the calendar. Please note the calendar is filling up fast and keep in mind there are four (4) special event call signs available for use on any given day.


Business Meeting 7 PM Sharp!

Business Meeting 7:00 PM Shart

To  Members
      There will be a meeting  on Tues. the 15th  at 7 pm sharp. It will be in the parking lot so bring a chair to sit on. Don”t  forget to where a MASK. This meeting will quick because it gets dark early.  If it changes I will let you know.
Richie

Steel City – PA QSO Planning

Okay folks as we discussed at the last meeting I am working on planning operations for the PA QSO Party from the club house this year. Due to covid I am trying to limit the crowd but insure everyone that wants to, gets an opportunity to come up and operate.

My current thought process is that we should be able to support 2-3 simultaneous operators and to keep inline with the social distancing recommendations we should limit the number of people inside the building to 6 – 10 at any one time. Depending on the weather we can have more folks than we can fit in the building come up and hang around outside for camaraderie and welcome any such spur of the moment visitation.

If we have any folks that are not able to or that are uncomfortable with operating in person from the club we may be able to work out some remote participation, please send me an e-mail directly to discuss.

Here is what I am currently thinking for operating slots pending any feedback from the club directors.

Time Slots
Saturday 10 October 2020
12:00 – 15:00  A
15:00 – 18:00  B
18:00 – 21:00  C
21:00 – 01:00  D

Sunday 11 October 2020
09:00 – 12:00  E
12:00 – 15:00  F
15:00 – 18:00  G

I plan to arrive at the club house ~10am on saturday for any setup and prep if there is any. If anyone wishes to assist or wants to sign up for an operating slot please reply here.    kb3cmt {at} gmail {dit} com

Example for slot choice replies:
Operator – KB3CMT
Mode – SSB
TimeSlots – A,D,G

I am always open for advice or suggestions, so if you have some please reach out!
Curtis – KB3CMT